These super-crispy Parmesan hash brown are a delicious addition to a fancy breakfast. Packed with cheese, garlic and parsley, they are flavorful and savory! Gluten-free, grain-free.
I used to not be a big fan of breakfast. I am someone who enjoys flavorful foods with lots of seasoning. Breakfast usually means bland and boring, and that has never been my style.
Somewhere along the line, I realized I could take those traditional breakfast staples, and customize them to excite my taste buds. These super-crispy Parmesan hash browns were a product of that realization.
First you’ll want to shred several potatoes. I use a hand grater, which takes awhile (great way to work out those arm muscles ;)), but if you have a food processor or mandoline slicer, the process goes much faster.
You’ll want to rinse the shredded potatoes next. This step will remove the excess starch, which is what makes potatoes soft and fluffy. The rinsing process will help to crisp up the potatoes. Ideally, soaking the potatoes is better, but as long as you rinse until the water runs clear, the majority of the starch will be removed.
Make sure to remove the excess water from the potatoes after rinsing. I find that squeezing the moisture out by hand works well. If you cannot get all of the moisture out, lay the potatoes out on paper towels and pat them dry.
Next, you’ll want to whip up a batch of the delicious seasoning! Only a few ingredients, and it really brings a pop of flavor to the hash browns. You’ll need olive oil, garlic, garlic salt (or regular sea salt), parsley and chili powder. So simple, yet so tasty! Mix that bad boy up, and add it into a bowl with your dried potatoes.
Mix it up until the seasoning fully coats the potatoes. Next is the fun part, add in that heavenly Parmesan cheese. This will help to bind the hash browns together, and also to elevate them to a whole new flavor level. Mmmm…
Spread that sucker out evenly onto a sheet pan and put ‘er in the oven! You’ll want it to be spread fairly thin, but still have it all touching, so that it stays together once baked. Try not to check obsessively for the next half hour. Totally worth the wait 🙂
You may also enjoy these other breakfast recipes:
Super Crispy Parmesan Hash Browns (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free)
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or butter melted
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese I like to use grated, it gets them the most crispy!
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Shred potatoes using a food processor, mandoline slicer, or hand grater.
- Rinse shredded potatoes until water runs clear. Squeeze remaining moisture out of potatoes.
- Mix olive oil/butter with seasoning together in a large bowl. Add shredded potatoes and mix until fully coated.
- Add in Parmesan cheese and mix again until fully incorporated.
- Spread potatoes onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Using a nonstick mat or parchment paper is helpful to prevent sticking.
- Place on bottom or middle rack of oven for 30 minutes. Check towards the end that the edges do not burn.