A delicious dish for warm days and family BBQs, this apple chicken salad is simple and healthy! Paleo, Whole30, dairy-free.
This apple chicken salad is the perfect summer side dish!
The weather is warming up, and it’s definitely time to spend more time outside! I just love salads for this time of year. You don’t want to spend a long time cooped up inside with several pots on the stove and the oven blasting. I get it!
What I like about this salad is you don’t have to heat anything up at all, if you purchase a rotisserie chicken. You’ll simply need to shred some chicken, no other cooking required!
If it’s a cooler day, or you don’t have access to a rotisserie chicken, you can certainly boil or bake some chicken yourself. Simply allow it to cool after cooking, and then shred yourself.
Incredibly easy to make, super creamy and delicious!
The rest of the salad is super easy to piece together, it only requires some chopped apples, celery and walnuts. You can usually even find the walnuts pre-chopped in the baking aisle of the grocery store.
Add the chicken, apples, celery and walnuts together into a bowl. Add in your favorite compliant mayo, and mix well to coat. If you can’t find a healthy mayo, you can always make one yourself. It is really quite easy to do. This homemade three-ingredient mayo is my go-to.
I also enjoy the primal kitchen mayo, which you can find in many stores.
Add in salt and pepper to taste, and then simply place the salad in the fridge for an hour before serving. See? Easy peasy!
Can I use something other than apples?
Of course you can! Grapes would also work really well here, was would pears, raisins or dried cranberries.
Can I omit the walnuts?
You certainly can, or you can replace them with pecans, slivered almonds or you could even use pumpkin or sunflower seeds. All would work well.
You may also enjoy:
Apple Chicken Salad
- 12 oz boiled chicken, shredded or rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 large apples
- 3 stalks chopped celery
- 4 oz chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (4 oz)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil chicken until cooked thoroughly. Allow to cool and then shred chicken.
- Dice apples into pieces, chop celery stalks into small pieces, and chop walnuts if not already chopped.
- Add shredded chicken, apples, celery and walnuts to a bowl. Add in mayo and stir to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste. I used approximately 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
- Return to fridge to cool for at least one hour before serving. Store in fridge covered for 2-3 days.