Looking for a super simple and healthy egg salad recipe? This one is great for any occasion! Keto, Whole30, Paleo, vegetarian, dairy-free, animal-based.
Looking for a healthier egg salad recipe?
I used to be someone who just didn’t enjoy egg salads. There is something about a huge glob of mayo that I just don’t like at all. Especially the stuff that is made using soybean or canola oil, it’s like my body just knew it wasn’t good for me, so it didn’t want me eating it.
I recently discovered avocado oil mayonnaise, and have since started putting it into lots of things, and I am again enjoying it in moderation!
I still don’t like to overdo it, but by using a mixture of mayo and mashed avocado, I’ve found that I can once again enjoy coleslaw, egg salad, and other mayo-based dishes and sauces.
So if you are like me, and like a bit of mayo in your recipes, but not too much, then this avocado egg salad is perfect for you!
This avocado egg salad is downright delicious!
To make it, you’ll need just a few simple ingredients: eggs, avocado, dijon mustard, mayo, salt and pepper. You can totally toss in other ingredients if you like, but this is just the basic recipe that everyone will love!
Simply mash up the avocado, along with the mustard, mayo, salt and pepper. If needed, you can thin out the mixture with a bit of water. Then simply toss in some hard-boiled eggs that have been chopped up into small pieces. Mix together and you are done!
For serving, I recommend any of the following:
- Eat it straight from a bowl with a spoon. Super delicious, but not practical for a party.
- Eat with Siete grain-free tortilla chips (SO GOOD).
- Spoon it into little lettuce leaves.
- Use it as a dip for fresh veggies, such as carrots, cucumbers and peppers.
- As the filling for a gluten-free sandwich.
- Scoop a bunch on top of a bed of greens, and add in carrots, tomatoes and your favorite dressing.
This avocado egg salad stores well in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
What else can I add to it, to spice it up?
There are so many ideas! Anything you can think of that works well with avocado and egg would go great here. The ones that come to mind are:
- Crumbled bacon!!
- Green onions/chives
- Parsley or dill
- Chopped pickles
- Sriracha or chili flakes
- Red onions
- Squeeze of lemon juice
You may also enjoy these other avocado recipes:
Avocado Egg Salad (Whole30, Keto)
- 2 medium avocados ripe
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons homemade or healthy mayonnaise click here for my three-ingredient mayo recipe
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons water to thin out the avocado mixture
- 8 large eggs hard-boiled and chopped into pieces
- Slice avocados in half and scoop insides into a bowl. Mash with a fork, and add in dijon mustard, mayo, salt and pepper and water. Mix until combined.
- Slice hard-boiled eggs into pieces, and gently fold into avocado mixture. Allow to chill in the fridge before serving. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.