This delicious gingerbread mug cake is an excellent holiday option for those with food intolerances because it is low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, sugar-free and Paleo.
I’m not going to lie, I am so thrilled that the holidays are here! When it comes to food, nothing can beat all of the flavorful, rich meals around the holidays.
Gingerbread is one of those desserts where I wish I could eat it year-round, because there is something so warm and comforting about it. For some reason, I tend to limit myself to “seasonal” desserts, but in reality, it’s not like it’s fresh produce, it’s dessert!
If I want one of these gingerbread mug cakes in June, I’ll definitely be making one then. Because trust me, this is one recipe you will want to eat year-round!
It was not the simplest recipe to get right, but with a little trial and error, I did it! So if you’re looking for that special gingerbread recipe that you can make in just a few minutes, then you will absolutely love this creation!
Usually when you think of making gingerbread, it involves making the dough, then rolling it out and using a cookie cutter…so much time involved! If you want the taste with none of the hassle, then this mug cake is perfect!
To make it, all you need is some butter, coconut flour, a teeny bit of tapioca flour (which does not add much at all in terms of carbs), an egg, some cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger, sweetener and a little bit of molasses.
Ok, so I know you’re probably like MOLASSES?!?! Isn’t that a byproduct of making sugar?? Well ok, so yes that is technically true, but there really is no good substitute if you want that incredibly rich, authentic gingerbread taste.
You can totally omit it, but trust me, it is only 1/4 teaspoon, which contributes practically nothing to the carb count. Nevertheless, it’s an optional ingredient for those who are really watching their carbs. Just know the gingerbread taste might be a bit reduced.
Mix all of those together and pop in the microwave for just 90 seconds! It really gets no easier than this, guys!
Oh, and if you’re interested in a more traditional gingerbread, be sure to check out this delicious soft gingerbread cookie recipe!
If you give this gingerbread mug cake a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also be sure to follow me on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a recipe!
Gingerbread Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon tapioca flour or starch
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice, or a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon molasses can be omitted to reduce carb count, but it does help give a rich, gingerbread flavor
- 1 packet sweetener or 2 teaspoons granulated sweetener
- Melt butter, ghee or coconut oil in a ramekin or mug by microwaving in bursts of 15 seconds.
- Mix in coconut flour and tapioca flour and stir until incorporated into the butter. Mix in egg and whisk with a fork until there are no egg clumps remaining.
- Mix in seasoning, ginger, molasses and sweetener.
- Microwave for 90 seconds to two minutes, depending on power of microwave. Allow to cool before consuming.