Plantain chips are incredibly simple to make at home, and much healthier too, since they are baked instead of fried. Gluten-free, grain-free, vegan.
Plantains have such a wonderful diversity to them. I often fry them up to toss into Mexican-style dishes to add a touch of sweetness. They can be made into fries, used as an ingredient in baked goods – they really can do anything you want them to do. Making baked plantain chips is yet another way to appreciate these versatile fruits.
Like bananas, they ripen through a spectrum of green to yellow to black. Unripe green plantains have a lack of sweetness, giving them a similar flavor and texture to potato chips. You can also use yellow plantains to make chips, although I’ve found that they do not crisp up as much.
Start off by cutting off the ends and then scoring the fibrous skin in at least three places – the outer layer is tougher than that of a banana, so this helps to peel them easier. Be careful not to cut too deeply. I did this, and ended up with some chips that definitely resembled pac-man.
In retrospect, these ones were slightly more entertaining to eat, so if you are into playing with your food, then by all means, make some pac-man chips 🙂
Next, you’ll want to cut them as thinly as possible – a mandoline slicer is quite helpful here, although by no means necessary. I cut mine by hand, and they turned out great.
The great thing about using green plantains is that they are a fantastic vessel for your favorite seasoning. Toss the plantains in a bowl with some olive oil and whatever you fancy at the moment.
In the mood for BBQ chips? Sprinkle on your favorite rub! In the mood for simple salt and pepper? Always a solid choice. Garlic lovers? Yes, please! The options are endless.
Then just pop them into the oven at 400 F for 15 – 20 minutes and voila! Healthy and satisfying, guilt-free chips.
I hope you guys enjoy these baked plantain chips, they are one of my go-to snacks in the evenings. And they beat the fried ones at the grocery store on the healthy scale for sure. Let me know in the comments below what seasoning you would add to your homemade plantain chips! I love to come up with new flavor combinations for these yummy snacks 🙂
Guilt-Free Baked Plantain Chips (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegan)
- 2 green plantains
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Your Favorite Seasoning I used a BBQ rub on half of mine
- Using a sharp paring knife, score the surface of the plantains in at least three places. Cut off the ends, and remove the skin.
- Using a mandoline slicer or sharp knife, cut the plantains into slices, as thin as possible.
- Toss plantains into a bowl with olive oil and your choice of seasoning, making sure to separate the slices, to evenly coated each with oil and seasonings of choice.
- Lay plantain slices onto a sheet with a nonstick silicone pad or aluminum foil.
- Bake at 400 F for 15-20 minutes. Watch closely towards the end to ensure they do not burn.