Are you a fan of plantains? Did you know they are incredibly easy to make yourself? These sweet and salty plantains take just a few minutes! Whole30, vegan, paleo, gluten-free, grain-free.
If any of you have been around since the very beginning of The Harvest Skillet, you may remember my baked plantain chip recipe. Well, it’s still one of my favorites when I’m not eating super low-carb.
I am also a fan of fried plantains, especially when they’re covered in salt. Drool. The combo of sweet and salty is true perfection. YUM.
I assume since you clicked on this recipe that you love sweet and salty things as well! You are most certainly in the right place, my friend.
If I do say so, these are the perfect balance of both worlds, although if you like extra salty, you can of course add as much as you desire.
So if you’ve ever made fried plantains, you know that they are super easy. These sweet and salty plantains are no exception. The biggest difference here is the type and quantity of oil they are fried in.
If you are frying in an unsaturated fat such as corn or soybean oil, I urge you to do some research regarding rancidity and the detrimental impact on your health.
I have experienced this first-hand because when I consume bad oils I get incredibly dry eyes and get a bunch of pressure in my head.
With a saturated fat such as coconut oil, palm oil or lard, the fat has less opportunities to bond with oxygen (oxidize, or turn rancid), so it is more shelf and heat stable. You still need to make sure it doesn’t begin to smoke when you’re heating it, but other than that, you should be good to go.
Heat your oil in a large pan over medium heat until nice and hot. While the oil is heating, cut the ends off your plantains and score the skin to remove it.
Slice plantain into approximately 1/2 inch thick rounds. Once the oil is hot, add in the plantain slices, sprinkle with salt and cook until they begin to brown.
Flip and cook on the other side until browned to your liking. Remove from heat and place on paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Sprinkle with additional salt, if desired.
Sweet and Salty Plantains (Whole30, Vegan)
- 2 medium plantains, ripe (yellow and black)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Cut ends of plantains off.
- Score skin on plantains and remove it.
- Slice plantains into approximately 1/2 inch (13 mm) thick rounds.
- To a large pan over medium heat, add coconut oil. Heat until melted.
- Place sliced plantains into pan in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt.
- Cook uncovered until they begin to brown on one side.
- Flip plantains over and sprinkle with more salt. Cook until browned on both sides.
- Place on paper towels to remove excess oil. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.