This grain-free cheesy garlic bread is so delicious that everyone will ask for seconds! Crunchy, cheesy and filled with ooey-gooey roasted garlic.
Quick and easy grain-free cheesy garlic bread, made with fresh French bread
No matter how long I’ve been off of gluten, I still always crave a good bread recipe. Those who have been reading here for a long time will see a trend with the number of really flavorful recipes I’ve posted before. Garlic is one of those really potent ingredients that I cannot get enough of.
Cheesy garlic bread is something I had not made in years (lots and lots of them), and it was just simply the time to do it again. I’m really glad I did, because this recipe turned out so well, that I know I’ll be making it again really soon (maybe even next week?!). It’s definitely going to be a staple.
What I like most about this recipe is how simple and truly delicious it is. I don’t have the time to spend hours waiting for bread to rest, rise and repeat. Mix the ingredients in a bowl, roll it out into a log and toss it in the oven. Totally my style.
I’m not pulling your leg when I say it’s easy.
This recipe uses one of my favorite bread recipes of all time, this grain-free French bread. It’s a quick and easy bread that takes less than 40 minutes from start to finish (and 30 minutes is the baking!).
I recommend baking the bread the day before, because it will need to cool before you can slice it up to make this cheesy garlic bread. If you’re not wanting to wait for fresh-baked bread, then any gluten or grain-free bread you can get from the store should work, as long as it suits your diet.
The next step is to roast a head of garlic in the oven, if you like your garlic bread to have a nice balanced garlic flavor. This step is totally optional, but highly recommended.
If you don’t have the time, then no worries, freshly minced garlic will do just as well (but don’t use the whole head, it will be much too potent!).
After you’ve sliced the bread in half, mix the following ingredients in a small bowl:
- One head roasted garlic, or three cloves of freshly minced garlic
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
Stir the mixture, and spoon it onto the top of each piece of bread. Spread to coat the bread evenly.
Add a generous layer of both Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Bake in a preheated oven until the top is brown and bubbly, approximately 10 minutes. You can broil it at the end for 30 seconds if you’re in a rush. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
This bread is best consumed right away, but it can be refrigerated for up to 5 days, or frozen for up to a month. It’s recommended to wrap each piece in parchment paper, so they do not stick together in the freezer. After refrigerating or freezing, it is best baked again in the oven for 5 minutes before consuming, to crisp up the edges.
Can I make this dairy-free?
You certainly can. Use your favorite mozzarella cheese substitute here (and in the French bread recipe, if you make it). Instead of using Parmesan, you can use nutritional yeast. It should still have a nice cheesy flavor!
Can I make this ahead and freeze it? Should I bake it first, then freeze, or freeze then bake?
Yes, you can make this ahead. You can bake it first and then freeze, or you can freeze and then bake. I do believe that baking it and then freezing it is best, because otherwise the mozzarella cheese may not stick to the bread, but this is a minor inconvenience. Either way, when you remove it from the freezer, I would recommend thawing it at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before you throw it in the oven.
If you give this grain-free cheesy garlic bread a try, please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also be sure to follow me on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a recipe!
You may also enjoy:
Grain-Free Cheesy Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf grain-free French bread or your favorite store-bought bread of choice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head roasted garlic or 3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese for the garlic paste mixture
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese to sprinkle on top
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Slice bread in half to expose the center.
- Mix olive oil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, salt and parsley in a bowl. It should form a paste which you can spread evenly over the bread.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and additional Parmesan, if desired. Place onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven for approximately 10 minutes, or until the edges are crispy and the cheesy is bubbly and brown. If desired, finish off under the broiler for 30 seconds to crisp it up even more.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before consuming. Best enjoyed right away, but it can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 30 days. Best thawed at room temperature for 10 minutes, and then reheated in the oven for around 5 minutes.